Re: Parametric Plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47778] Re: Parametric Plot
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:41:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 4/25/04 at 5:13 AM, ronnyma at student.matnat.uio.no (Ronny Mandal)
wrote:

>I'm trying to print the curve x=sin(t), y=cos(t) ,x+y=1 on
>Mathematica 5, student version. Ican come up with :

>ParametricPlot[{Sin[t], Cos[t]}, {t, 0, 2*[Pi]}] and this yields
>what I want. Any suggestions on how I can draw the same curve
>non-parametric?

I am a bit puzzled. You indicate ParametricPlot[{Sin[t], Cos[t]}, {t, 0, 2*[Pi]}] does what you want. This would be a circle centered at the origin. But in your initial statement you add another condition x + y = 1. This would be a line. Did you mean this condition to be x^2 + y^2 = 1 instead of what you posted?

If the question is what other methods are available to plot a unit circle, then you could use ImplicitPlot or simply use the graphics primitive Circle.

>E.g {(x,y) | 0 => x,y =>1}? Like all points in 2D space that satisfies
>this equation?

Equation? This looks like an inequality which would be satisfied by all of the points in the uppper left quadrant except for the strip 0 <= y < 1.