Re: ListPlot3D with holes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47899] Re: [mg47796] ListPlot3D with holes
  • From: Omega Consulting <info at omegaconsultinggroup.com>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:39:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Use ListSurfacePlot3D or TriangularSurfacePlot.

Load the graphics packages.
In[1]:=<<Graphics`

Unlike ListPlot3D, ListSurfacePlot3D takes a matrix of points.
In[2]:= data = Table[{x, y, x+y}+.5{Random[],Random[],Random[]},
{x,10},{y,10}];

In[3]:=ListSurfacePlot3D[data]

ListSurfacePlot will handle some holes but it's a bit picky if it has
too many. If that's the case, you can use TriangularSurfacePlot.

Load DiscreteMath
In[4]:=<<DiscreteMath`

TriangularSurfacePlot takes a list of points.
In[5]:=TriangularSurfacePlot[Flatten[data,1]]

On Apr 27, 2004, at 3:46 AM, Holger Linde wrote:

> Hello,
> I've plotted a two dimensional list with ListPlot3D, but now I've run
> into trouble because for parts of this list, no values exist. (Imagine
> that the list values are gained from an equation system, and in some
> cases, no solution exists). I.e., the definition domain is not
> continuous, but has 'holes'. My goal is to retrieve a 3D plot where
> these points are left out. Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Holger

Omega Consulting
The final answer to your Mathematica needs.
http://omegaconsultinggroup.com