Re: The Wave Equation : Mathematica vs. Mathworld

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47931] Re: The Wave Equation : Mathematica vs. Mathworld
  • From: gilmar.rodriguez at nwfwmd.state.fl.us (Gilmar Rodr?guez Pierluissi)
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:27:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I thank you all again for your wonderful comments.
But the question remains:  How can a Mathematica User
go about introducing the Initial and Boundary conditions
to solve the original problem presented in
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/WaveEquation.html?
If a person use the Mathematica Help Browser and type DSolve;
a group of examples appear showing the format to follow
when using DSolve.  When I follows that format to
solve the Wave PDE, with the IC and BC specified in MathWorld
I get:
DSolve[{D[ Psi[x, t], {x,2}] == c*D[ Psi[x, t], {t,2}]
,Psi[0,t]==0,Psi[L,t]==0,Psi[x,0]==f[x],D[Psi[x,0],t]==g[x]}
,Psi[x, t],{x, t}]
When I evaluate this command, I get an error.