Re: export plot data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47934] Re: export plot data
  • From: bghiggins at ucdavis.edu (Brian Higgins)
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:27:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Quentin,

Here is one way:

First create a empty text file in your favorite directory; call it
mydata.txt (for this example). then evaluate

plt1 = Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2Pi}]
mydata = Flatten[Cases[plt1, Line[x__] -> x, Infinity], 1];

 Now to export the data as CSV to the file you created previous then
type

Export["/Users/brian/Desktop/mydata.txt", mydata, "CSV"]

The first argument of Export is the filename and path that you wish to
export your data. To get that info automatically place your cursor
after "[" and then from the file menu select Input and then select
"Get File Path.." A dialog box will open that will allow you to
navigate to the file you created in Step 1. Select the file mydata.txt
and the click on the Choose button. The appropriate path plus file
name will be pasted as the first argument of Export.

Note in the above example I used a mac with OSX. In windows the
filepath syntax involves "\\" values rather than "/" values to delimit
directories.

If you simple type in "mydata.txt" as the first argument of Export the
file is created in the default directory of Mathematica

You can then open the file in Excel or other software thar recognizes
CSV data

Cheers,

Brian