Re: Asymmetric quadratic coefficient problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49909] Re: Asymmetric quadratic coefficient problem
  • From: "Dr. Wolfgang Hintze" <weh at snafu.de>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:22:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

As to your first question:
You can easily convice yourself that the asymmetric part of the matrix A
just drops out of the term z'Az.

Let

S=(A+Transpose[A])/2  (symmetric part of A)
N=(A-Transpose[A])/2  (asymmetric part of A)

then, obviously

A = S+N

and we have

z'Az = z'Sz + z'Nz

but the term x=z'Nz vanishes because (not in strict Mathematica style)

x=z'Nz = Sum[ z[i] N[i,k] z[k] ]
= Sum[ z[k] N[k,i] z[i] ] (just renaming summation indices)
= - Sum [ z[i] N[i,k] z[k] ] (because of N[k,i] = - N[i,k] )
= - x

Hences x=0.

Hope this helps.

Regards,