Re: Problem with eval. of neg. cube root of neg. #

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49921] Re: [mg49894] Problem with eval. of neg. cube root of neg. #
  • From: DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 03:09:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

It's no use saying the cube root of -5 is real; that's just an opinion. There are two other cube roots, and the "principle" cube root Mathematica computes is NOT real. The distinction is important mathematically because it allows, for instance, all cube roots of -1 to be powers of the principle root.

If you want to take charge of what is computed, you can do so as follows:

Clear[f]
f[x_] := Sign[x]*Abs[x]^(1/3)*(x + 4)
Plot[f[x], {x, -10, 10}]

Bobby