Turing machines anyone?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49949] Turing machines anyone?
  • From: "Dave" <glapots at jhotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 03:51:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi, I'm currently studying for an exam which includes turing machines used
to compute fucntions. I can understand how I can derive a turing machine
for certain functions but other questions are baffling me. I would
appreciate some on the following from past exam papers. Thanks. I have made
attempts at these questions so it you would like me to show you how far I've
got, please ask.

Build turing machines that compute the following functions..

1:   f(n) = 2(n)  where n is positive

2:   x / 2, where x>= 2, and x is an even fucntion

3:   f(x) = x div 2 (i.e. x divided by 2, rounded down)

4: f(n) = { 0, if n = 2,
              { n, otherwise