Re: NonlinearRegress

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49966] Re: [mg49915] NonlinearRegress
  • From: "Janos D. Pinter" <jdpinter at hfx.eastlink.ca>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 05:37:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Chris,

in general, you will need to use a global search/optimization procedure to
guarantee the satisfaction of parameter range constraints, as well as to
find the best numerical fit (expressed in a given norm). Consult e.g. item
140 in my list of publications at www.pinterconsulting.com: in that article
my MathOptimizer package is used to solve model calibration problems
globally, as opposed to built-in local model fitting functionality. You
could also try to use the built-in function NMinimize to attain the same
objective.

Frank Kampas and I have done some systematic numerical comparisons among
global solvers for Mathematica - in solving some rather difficult global
optimization problems - which we plan to make available in published form.

Regards,
Janos Pinter