Opposite of ReadList[ ... ,Byte]?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50318] Opposite of ReadList[ ... ,Byte]?
  • From: John Kiehl <john.kiehl at soundtrackny.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:51:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm working with a very large (16 Meg) AIFF sound file exported from the
audio software ProTools which has some undocumented header information
which I need to preserve. I've successfully loaded the file using
ReadList[...,Byte], modified the desired data Bytes, and now I want to
write the new data (with the old header info) back out to a new file.

I'm inclined to not use Export[..., AIFF] because I will lose the ProTools
custom header information.  In lieu of there not being a symmetrically
conceived WriteList[..., Byte] function, how do I tell Mathematica to
simply write my list of bytes out to a file?  I'm confused by all the
reference to NewLine, Strings, Comma Delimited, etc. etc. etc.... (In
other words, each element of my list is a number with a value between
0 and 255 which needs to be written into just one byte of the file.)

Part B of my question:  I'm working on a Macintosh, so how do I give
the new file a "File Type" and "Creator" identification to match the
original file?

john kiehl