Re: Publicon problems converting sample document to LaTeX

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50313] Re: Publicon problems converting sample document to LaTeX
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve_usenet at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:51:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I just tried to reproduce your experiment. I found the same formatting
problems with wide equations that you encountered. However, I had a bit more
success with the graphics because I did a DVI->PS translation before viewing
the results on screen.

Here's what I did:

1. Create a DefaultSample.nb document using the "S" button at the top-left
of the Default palette.
2. Save As LaTeX.
3. Use MiKTeX to compile the LaTeX source.
4. Use the YAP to look at the DVI. Graphics do NOT display.
5. Process DVI->PS, and use GSVIEW to look at the PS. Graphics DO display.

I have got used to graphics being temperamental in DVI viewers, so I am not
too worried about not seeing them above. The only formatting problems are
with the two very long numbers whose right hand margin seems to be decided
by where the right hand edge of the page is.

Equation 4 is also too wide to fit properly. I notice that equation 4 (when
viewed in Publicon) does not reformat itself when you make the window narrow
enough to "squeeze" it; this appears to be related to be a Publicon (and
Mathematica) limitation with doing clever formatting of equations that live
in grids of boxes (i.e. such clever formatting is not even attempted).

Steve Luttrell

"Murray Eisenberg" <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote in message
news:cghfrv$jeo$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> My first attempt at translating a Publicon document into LaTeX and
> printing the result was a bit of a disaster.
>
> I tried the supplied file DefaultSample.nb, saving it to LaTeX.
>
> First I tried to use Y&Y LaTeX to process this, but it choked on .tfm's
> it couldn't find.
>
> Second I tried MiKTeX.  At least LaTeX processed to the end of the
> document.  But:
>
> (1) There was no \maketitle in the generated LaTeX, so no title appeared!
>
> (2) None of the .ps files (originating from the \includegraphics
> commands) rendered in the Yap viewer and none printed.  (See below for
> the Yap report.)
>
> (3) The wide math display (4) was horribly translated into LaTeX as just
> an equation environment, whereas some sort of amsmath structure was
> clearly required in order to keep the long lines from wandering
> off-screen and off-paper to the right.  I suppose this is more than one
> can ask at present from such a translater -- that here the burden should
> fall upon the author of the Publicon notebook, but then this might mean
> considerable manual intervention into the LaTeX markup, and that in turn
> vitiates some of the purpose of using Publicon to produce TeX.
>

> Here's the report I got about the (first?) PostScript special include
> not being able to be rendered:
>
>    Error: /typecheck in --image--
> Operand stack:
>     --nostringval--   PermitFileReading   --nostringval--
> PermitFileWriting   --nostringval--   (\000)   745   745   8
> --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
> Execution stack:
>     %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
> --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
>    --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop
> 1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop
> .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2
> %stopped_push   --nostringval--   11   5   %oparray_pop
> --nostringval--   12   5
%oparray_pop   --nostringval--   --nostringval--