Graphics Printing Oddity (some displayed stuff doesn't print)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52749] Graphics Printing Oddity (some displayed stuff doesn't print)
  • From: AES/newspost <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 05:22:33 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm assembling 4 plots into a single (two-part) plot using the following
structure:

plot1 := Module[{},
              DisplayTogether[
                 Plot[---],
                 Plot[---],
                 Epilog  -> Text[---],
                 PlotLabel -> "---"],
                 DisplayFunction->Identity];

plot2 := Module[{},
              DisplayTogether[
                 Plot[---],
                 Plot[---],
                 Epilog  -> Text[---],
                 PlotLabel -> "---"]];
                 DisplayFunction->Identity];

displayResults := Module[{},
                              Show[
                                GraphicsArray[ { {plot1, plot2} } ],
                                Epilog -> Text[---],
                                DisplayFunction -> $DisplayFunction,
                                ImageSize -> {6, 4} * 72];];

In the on-screen display all of the Epilog and PlotLabel stuff within
the individual plot1 and plot2 parts, and the Epilog in the final Show
GraphicsArray module (which is a kind of overall header for the combined
plots), all appear as desired

When I print the notebook, or any individual graphic selection, however,
the Epilog text in the Show GraphicsArray portion just doesn't print.

If I move this Epilog within the GraphicsArray[ ] structure, again
everything displays as desired, but the final Epilog doesn't print.

If I convert this Epilog into a PlotLabel in the Show structure, it
_does_ print -- but then it's centered, and I'd rather have that overall
label be left justified.

I appreciate that I'm nesting things 3 or 4 deep here, which may raise
complexities.  I do like using  DisplayTogether though -- it's simple to
code and modify, and allows combining all kinds of plots.

[Mac OS 9.2, Mathematica 4.2]