Re: How input stacked characters with vertical bar

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53070] Re: How input stacked characters with vertical bar
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 04:53:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <cq8tl2$h1h$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:

> OK, that does stack th subscript and superscript -- but they are not
> placed where proper mathematical notation says they should appear with
> such a vertical bar.
>
> I've tried both the | key on the keyboard as well as the
> VerticalSeparator symbol (on the Complete Characters palette).  And
> those symbols do (almost) automatically expand to the height of what's
> immediately to their left, e.g., a stacked:
>
>       2
>     ---
>      2
>
> But the subscript and superscript I type then are NOT located near the
> top and bottom of the vertical bar, where they ought to appear.  Rather,
> they are quite close together vertically, as if they were the subscript
> and superscript on a single letter.

To get this to work, you _still_ need to select the VerticalSeparator,
open the Option Inspector, type in span, hit return, and set the
SpanMaxSize to Infinity.

Here is an example of such a cell:

   Cell[BoxData[FormBox[RowBox[
     {
      FractionBox[SuperscriptBox["x", "2"], "2"],
      SubsuperscriptBox[
         StyleBox["\[VerticalSeparator]", SpanMaxSize->Infinity],
            "a", "b"]
      }
     ], TraditionalForm]],
   "Input"
   ]

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul