how to test if 2 expressions are the same? Mathematica 5.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46069] how to test if 2 expressions are the same? Mathematica 5.0
  • From: nma124 at hotmail.com (steve_H)
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 04:02:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

hello;

I am confused.

many times, I want to find if there is a way to obtain one expression
from another by tranformation.

for example, we know that 1-sin^2(x) = cos^2(x), and  a*log(x)=log(x^a),
etc.., but sometimes this does not seem to work using SameQ:

SameQ[a Log[x], Log[x^a] ]
False

I tried MatchQ and that also gives False.

what is the right way to do these things in Mathematica? I checked the on-line help,
and can't seem to see the right command for this.

many thanks,
STeve