question: How to get Mathematica to show more than one value of a complex valued function?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46286] question: How to get Mathematica to show more than one value of a complex valued function?
  • From: nma124 at hotmail.com (steve_H)
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:56:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

hello;

this is Mathematica 5.0

given a multi-valued complex function, how can I get Mathematica to show
more than one value? or to show the general formula for all solutions?

for example, (-i)^i  is multivalued. The result returned by Mathematica is
Exp[Pi/2], which is the first possible value. But there are infinitly many
others (if my math is correct), such as Exp[-3/2 Pi], Exp[5/2 Pi] etc...
where the general function value is Exp[Pi/2 +-  2 n Pi]  n=0,1,2,3,....

Same as for Log[z] where z is a complex number, which is multi-valued.

or can I at least tell Mathematica to tell me if the result returned is the ONLY
one possible, (i.e. the complex function is NOT multi-valued)? becuase
right now it is not clear from the result if result returned is the only
value or if there are others.

thanks,
Steve