Re: sharing packages between multiple installations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46405] Re: [mg46359] sharing packages between multiple installations
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:43:38 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello, Peter.

Hopefully I can clear up a few things.  First...

$BaseDirectory === $AddOnsDirectory
$UserBaseDirectory === $UserAddOnsDirectory

They are simply new names (new to version 5), but have the exact same
values.  The old names are deprecated, and thus undocumented (in theory,
anyway...your email points out an omission which I'll touch on later).  I
know this seems a bit odd and potentially inconvenient, but I think I can
say with a fair bit of certainty that it won't happen again.

I say above that the behavior of these symbols is identical, but it's
possible that the behavior will be different if you assign values to them.
However, you should *not* assign values to them, so any differences in that
behavior don't concern me too much.

The way to redefine these symbols is to use an environment variable.  See
appendix A.7.1 for a discussion of the environment variables
MATHEMATICA_BASE and MATHEMATICA_USERBASE.  Using these environment
variables will change the locations for both kernel and FE, which will fix
some of your problems (you are only resetting the kernel's value using your
current method).

For your puzzles, now...

1) If you've packaged up everything up as an application, then you should
put your entire application in its own subdirectory in one of the following
places...
	$BaseDirectory/Applications (for a machine-wide install)
	$BaseDirectory/Autoload (machine-wide, loads automatically)
	$UserBaseDirectory/Applications (for a user-specific install)
	$UserBaseDirectory/Autoload (user-specific, loads automatically)

In that subdirectory, you should have your files organized as...

	<addon>/*.m (files on the kernel's $Path)
	<addon>/Kernel/init.m (the file which runs if the package is put in
Autoload)
	<addon>/Documentation/English (documentation files)

If you don't want to package things up as an addon, then the documentation
could simply be in...
	$BaseDirectory/Documentation/English
	$UserBaseDirectory/Documentation/English

2) I've already explained why $AddOnsDirectory is undocumented.  I'm not
sure how you're reading the "mixing" of WRI stuff with non-WRI stuff.  It
is true that official WRI application packs will install stuff in the right
locations in $UserBaseDirectory or $BaseDirectory...maybe that's what
you're referring to.  But out-of-the-box, all Mathematica will do is create
a directory structure (no files) inside of these directories to help you
figure out the right places to drop things.  But unless you own application
packs, this isn't an issue.  If you do own application packs, then you
could make your change to $BaseDirectory, but install the application packs
in $UserBaseDirectory (I wouldn't recommend moving $UserBaseDirectory to a
shared network directory...that could cause a number of conflicts between
users).

3) I've reported the problems with references to
$AddOnsDirectory/$UserAddOnsDirectory and the wrong appendix reference
(should be A.8.2) to the appropriate people for fixing in the next release.
 Thanks for mentioning it.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group