Re: Errors evaluating InputForm[graphic]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46526] Re: Errors evaluating InputForm[graphic]
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:27:24 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 2/20/04 at 10:58 PM, deo6 at prodigy.net (David O'Gorman) wrote:

>Consider this example:

>Plot3D[Sin[x y],{x,0,4},{y,0,4}, AxesLabel->{"x/x0", "y/y0", "z"}]

>Mathematica correctly generates the output graphic.

>If one selects the cell containing this graphic, converts it to
>InputForm using the Convert menu selection from the Cell menu,
>cursors the beginning of this InputForm text, and sets this
>InputForm data equal to pic using the Set statement (i.e.,
>pic=stuff); then the graphic subsequently generated by typing
>Show[pic] is completely different than the original graphic.

>Does anyone how to fix this behavior?

>(Being able to restore graphics without recomputing the underlying
>data is very important.

I agree being able to use a graphic without recomputing it is very useful. But it seems to me you are making things quite difficult for your self. If I use the example you give above and later decide I should have assigned the output to a symbol so as to be easy to re-use, all I need do is

pic=%n

where n is the number of the output cell containing the graphic. Then Show[pic] reproduces the same graphic without recomputing it.