Re: Can Mathematica Ver 5 Import ESRI *.shp, *.shx and DBase *.dbf files??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46547] Re: Can Mathematica Ver 5 Import ESRI *.shp, *.shx and DBase *.dbf files??
  • From: bcd <bcdetterich at socal.rr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:15:39 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Below are the formats that are listed when $ImportFormats is evaluated on
the Mac (OSX, Mathematica 5.0).

I think the same parameter list on the PC is slightly different.  Some of
the formats have limitations, and it's best to use online help.

Even though .DAT files seem to be correctly interpreted on the Mac, the
extension doesn't show up in $ImportFormats.  So, perhaps that isn't the
tell-all statement I thought it to be.

I've noticed some vagaries in trying to import files where I depend solely
on the extension in the name to clue Mathematica as to what to do.  So,
lately I've taken to including the appropriate parameter in the Import
statement, e.g. "CSV".

Your question's subject suggests that you don't have 5.0, hence the post.

-bcd
PS: Yo Wolfram!  I'm still waiting for my 5.0.1 CD ... but wait, if it still
has warts, I can wait :-)

AIFF, AU, BMP, CSV, DICOM, Dump, DXF, EPS, EPSI, EPSTIFF, Expression,
\
ExpressionML, FITS, GIF, HarwellBoeing, HDF, JPEG, Lines, List, MAT,
MathML, \
MGF, MPS, MTX, NB, NotebookML, PBM, PGM, PNG, PNM, PPM, SDTS, SND,
STL, \
SymbolicXML, Table, Text, TIFF, TSV, UnicodeText, WAV, Words,
XBitmap, XML