Re: Reordering Downvalues?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46628] Re: Reordering Downvalues?
  • From: "Fred Klingener" <gigabitbucket at brockeng.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:53:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote in message
news:c1iqkd$683$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Hi,
>
> you do nothing wrong, but Mathematica orders the patterns by itself
> to ensure that more special patterns are applied first and this
> happens in your case.

I feared that this was the case - book section 2.5.7 is pretty clear on it,
but 2.5.13 gives explicit instructions on how to change the order.  It isn't
helpful that the order doesn't matter in the example they use.

Not being able to change the *Value order doesn't bother me as much as the
cheerful way that Mathematica takes the instruction then doesn't do
anything.  Some kind of message would have been nice.

Thanks,
Fred Klingener