Re: eigenvector rotation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46673] Re: eigenvector rotation
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve1 at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:32:01 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

If you multiply all of the eigenvectors of a Hermitian matrix H by Exp[I
theta] where theta is real then you still have a valid set of eigenvectors
(i.e. they satisfy the H xi = lambdai xi, and the orthonormality conditions
<xi|xj> = KroneckerDelta[i,j] are satisfied). That means that the value of
theta is arbitrary so Mathematica can use any theta she wants, and you can
then multiply Mathematica's result by your own Exp[I theta].

Steve Luttrell

news:c1luu7$o16$1 at smc.vnet.net...