RE: RE: Windows ME fonts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45375] RE: [mg45371] RE: [mg45346] Windows ME fonts
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 04:56:07 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Ingolf,

I experienced the same problem when I first installed Mathematica 5.0 on
Windows 98 many months ago. There was one other similar complaint on
MathGroup at the time.

After running Mathematica for some time, fonts would go bad. Sometimes in
Mathematica notebooks and even more often in Windows. For example, the icons
and labels on the task bar would go bad, and fonts in the headings of emails
would change size. After restarting the computer the problem would go away,
but then come back after running Mathematica.

At the time, Wolfram support was saying that there were too many fonts
installed on the Windows system and to remove some. But that was not the
cause of the solution.

At the time, I sent a picture of the corrupted fonts in emails to John Fultz
at WRI and he replied that they had found the problem. He provided a site
where I could download a new version of the front end. That solved the
problem. I was under the impression that support provided the new front end
to everybody that had the problem, which I believe was only on certain
Windows systems, and that they had instituted a permanent fix.

So it is strange that this is coming up again. Is it associated with the
recent Version 5.0.1? Did the fix get undone?

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Ingolf Dahl [mailto:ingolf.dahl at telia.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

No, this is not a display problem (I use 1280x1024, by the way). The display
could never cause square-root signs and other characters scattered over the
Mathematica input cells. And the fonts are not distorted - they are replaced
by other fonts. It is evidently the font system of Windows that has run
havoc. But thanks anyway for your consideration.

Ingolf Dahl
Sweden