RE: Mathematica exports curves in pieces to Illustrator

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45396] RE: Mathematica exports curves in pieces to Illustrator
  • From: Yasvir Tesiram <tesiramy at omrf.ouhsc.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 04:16:53 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

David,

As I understand it, when you save as EPS or other formats, some other
programs are called to save the file. As is the creation of postscript for
display in the frontend. The rendering in the FrontEnd
is done (I guess, someone correct me if I'm wrong), by using these
programs and the system "stdout". In the case of exported files,"EPS" just
happens to be a convenient format to work with when using Adobe
Illustrator. In a nutshell, a graphic is made from a Mathematica
defintion of points and lines which then gets converted to PS by some
translation program for display to the screen or other device like a
printer.
After having understood the difference between Graphics
primitives and directives, I can make basic 2D plots that are of
acceptable publication quality from Mathematica directly. Alternately you
can save the data and import it into graphing programs like SigmaPlot,
ProFit etc which have the convenience of "press-button" features. But, if
you have Mathematica and gain some proficiency in it, you don't need
these relatively expensive programs.
I also use your DrawGraphics package sometimes to save myself a headache.
I have used DrawGraphics to make 3D vector diagrams and have managed to do
most of the basic layout using Mathematica. Beyond this, I have always
used Illustrator to clean up the graphic. If you Ungroup the graphic in
Illustrator you will see many, many objects and you can zoom in, zoom out
and clean up the graphic as you please. Usually, items that need cleaning
up are lines which may have been rendered behind (before) a solid filled
object (e.g a Polygon). Some of my other 3D graphics are built up from
very large data sets and I have used Jens-Peers MathGL3D package to
visualise these data sets. They can also be imported into Illustrator, but
without sufficient memory and speed, they are cumbersome graphics to
work with.
Recently, I found my self working via the MathKernel directly (for
convenience mainly). On a Mac running MacOS 10.3, Wolfram does not provide
the programs athena or motif to render the graphics and have it displayed.
In this instance, I used "The GIMP" (http://gimp.org";) to visualise the
graphic in preference to the program ghostscript by creating a temporary
"eps" file that could be read by the GIMP. But I am just learning
the basics of GIMP and so cannot give a full account of how it compares
with commercial programs. Certainly looks good for artistic work and may
not be all that science oriented.
I have found Illustrator to be extremely useful in cleaning up
Mathematica written "EPS" files. Another program is CorelDraw, but I
jumped off that "band wagon" a long time ago.
In so far as the Graphics Gallery on the WRI website is concerned, I don't
think there has been an auxilliary program that the graphics have been run
through apart from what they deliver already. It may be that there are
some differences between the binaries delivered for different platforms
and there could be any number of issues behind why Wolfram deliver what
they have delivered. For myself, at least, I have found a good degree of
consistency between graphics produced on Mac, Windows-PC, Linux-PC, using
graphics cards of various quality.

Cheers
Yas

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net