Re: Compile

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45445] Re: Compile
  • From: dgolber at aol.com (DGolber)
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:31:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>> My final remark is that the first argument in Maxim's example can be
>> compiled and that the result is a compiled function in which a global
>> variable subs occurs. The above observations and conclusions remain valid
>> also for a compiled first argument. I cannot find any reason why
>Mathematica
>> would not compile the first argument when Compiled->True. But I cannot show
>> that Mathematica indeed did compile.
>>
>> Fred Simons
>> Eindhoven University of Technology

That's all very nice Fred, and we thank you for the explanation.  But my
question (not for you, but for the Mathematica people who might be reading this
group to find out what users think of their product) is:

Where is this discussed in the Documentation?

I have a book 4 inches (100 mm) thick, that I paid for _in_addition_ to paying
for Mathematica, and neither it nor the on-line documentatoin even attempts to
explain anything like this.

If someone asks me what I think of the product, I'd say "Well, if your users
have advanced degrees, they mght be able to figure out how to use it.  But not
ordinary people."

Dave Golber