RE: Context of option symbols

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45490] RE: [mg45475] Context of option symbols
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 00:00:37 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Selwyn,

Generally I think you should write a usage message for each option name and
value that is unique to your package.

Sometimes you may overload a name already used in Mathematica. You can then
add to the usage message for that name. For example the following is used in
my Algebra`PushThrough` package

$NewMessage[Constants, "usage"];
Constants::usage =
    Constants::usage <>
      " For the PushThrough routine, Constants specifies a list of symbols \
which will be treated as constants and not pushed through.";

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Selwyn Hollis [mailto:sh2.7183 at misspelled.erthlink.net]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

A programming question:
In general, what context should be given to symbols representing option
names?

For instance, let's say I'm writing a package with context Foo`foo`,
and a function in the package has an option named ColorSpec. In what
context should ColorSpec exist? Or does it really matter?

-----
Selwyn Hollis
http://www.math.armstrong.edu/faculty/hollis
(edit reply-to to reply)