Re: how to delete duplicate items in the same list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45593] Re: how to delete duplicate items in the same list
  • From: "Peltio" <peltio at twilight.zone>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:05:08 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"AES/newspost" wrote

>Can anyone explain why "Union" means what it does?  -- or at least a
>mental crutch to help me remember that Union is the command that does
>this?

I've always though to it as the union of more sets in basic set theory.

{1,2,3,4} U {3,4,5,6} = {1,2,3,4,5,6}

Hence I tend to see Union[A] as the shorthand form for Union[A,A]

{1,2,3,4} U {1,2,3,4} = {1,2,3,4}

Not much of a crutch, but my two cents anyway : )
Best regards,
Peltio
--
Invalid address in reply-to. Crafty demunging required to mail me.