Re: Troubles with Integrating certain functions in 5.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49132] Re: [mg49113] Troubles with Integrating certain functions in 5.0
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 02:01:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 1 Jul 2004, at 18:26, Matt Hancher wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running 5.0.0.0 on OS X, and Integrate is misbehaving.  Below I
> show
> the results of performing the same definite integral two times.  The
> only
> difference is that I pulled out the constant factor Sqrt[E] in the
> second
> case.  Only the second case is correct; the Struve function shouldn't
> be
> there in the first case.
>
> I'm pretty sure I'm not just being dumb.  Anybody have any thoughts?
> I'd be curious to know how this plays out with other versions and on
> other platforms....
>
> In: Integrate[Exp[-Sin[x]^2]*Sqrt[E], {x, 0, Pi}]
> Out: Pi ( BesselI[0, 1/2] - StruveL[0, 1/2] )
>
> Versus:
>
> In: Integrate[Exp[-Sin[x]^2], {x, 0, Pi}]*Sqrt[E]
> Out: Pi BesselI[0,1/2]
>
> Thanks for any thoughts,
> Matt
>
> Matt Hancher
> NASA Ames Research Center
> Official: mdh at email.arc.nasa.gov
> Personal: mdh at media.mit.edu

Version 4.2 gives the right answer:

Integrate[E^(-Sin[x]^2), {x, 0, Pi}]

(Pi*BesselI[0, 1/2])/Sqrt[E]

This is on Mac OS X but I am pretty sure that the behaviour of both
version 4.2 and 5.0 is the same in this respect on both platforms. I do
not have 5.01 so I am not sure if this problem is still present.

Mathematica 5.0 introduced some pretty radical changes in the way
Integrate works. Many bugs have been fixed (though naturally one rarely
hears of this). Partly as a result of these fixes and partly due the
more ambitious approach in version 5, a substantial number of new bugs
have also been created. At the moment it seems to me that the best
thing to do is to use use both versions (it is possible to line two
Kernels to the same front end) and also check the answer with
NIntegrate, which is very reliable.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Chiba, Japan
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/