Scriptable Mathematica tools for auto-editing text?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48480] Scriptable Mathematica tools for auto-editing text?
  • From: AES/newspost <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 03:02:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Anyone know of a Mathematica package or set of tools that can be used to
operate on a text file and do, scriptably, the kinds of things one could
do by hand using one of the more powerful text editors, like BBEdit,
emacs or QUED/M? -- a set of modules that would do Search and Replace
with some grep capabilities, pull out all the links in an HTML document,
and so on.

I'm sure I cobble up an amateur effort myself to do this, but has
someone else already done it better?