Re: version differences?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48614] Re: [mg48603] version differences?
  • From: Mary Beth Mulcahy <Mary.Mulcahy at colorado.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 00:48:05 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I found that I had problems using other notebooks at this website dealing with
Experimental Data Analysis add-on:

http://documents.wolfram.com/applications/eda/FittingDataToNonlinearModels.html

In this notebook example, the command for fitting nonlinear data is written as
FindFit[...].  Well, in the help menu for Matematica 5.0 the command is
written as EDAFindFit[...] everything else is the same in the notebooks with
just that exception.  I spent and hour on the phone to Wolfram asssuming my
installation of the add on package wasn't working and it wasn't until I copied
and pasted from the help browser and it worked did I realize that the online
help had that(subtle) difference.

Needless to say I no longer look online for examples.  The guy I was speaking
with from Wolfram seemed surprised by the difference.  The version of
Mathematica he was using didn't have any problems with the online example (at
least that's what he told me).  I can't remember what version he had.

mary beth

Quoting sean kim <sean_incali at yahoo.com>:

> hello group.
>
> the webpage
>
> http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Articles/1658/
>
> has a notebook named checking.nb. (from 1998)
>
> does anyone else have problems running the inputs in that notebook?
>
> I get errors running method3-7. I think it has to do withther version
> differences with NDSolve. I wonder if there's gonna be an updated
> versin of that notebook?  with the residual method I get weird
> increasing sine wave type of curve. I wasn't sure if it was just me or
> others are having the same problems.
>
> it will be great if someone figures out a way to *automagically* make
> old codes compatible with newer and improved functions.
>
> thanks all for any comments in advance.
>
> sean

University of Colorado