Re: Re: Where does Return return to?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48635] Re: [mg48629] Re: Where does Return return to?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 04:16:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 8 Jun 2004, at 13:48, Ray Koopman wrote:

> This may make the problem clearer.
> Why does Return exit Block in func1 but not in func2 or func3?
>
> In[1]:= func1 := Block[{L = 2},
>                  While[L > 1, If[True, Return[1]]; L--]; 0]
>
> In[2]:= func2 := Block[{L = 2},
>                  While[If[True, Return[1]]; --L > 1]; 0]
>
> In[3]:= func3 := Block[{},
>                  Do[If[True, Return[1]], {L,2,2,-1}]; 0]
>
> In[4]:= func1
> Out[4]= 1
>
> In[5]:= func2
> Out[5]= 0
>
> In[6]:= func3
> Out[6]= 0

I will explain func1 and func3. I do not want even to consider func2 as
I never use this syntax, I see no point in its existence, and in fact I
think it is a nuisance that ought to be got rid of.

As for the first two cases, compare

While[True, Return[1]]

Return[1]

Do[Return[1],{i,1}]

1

I think this makes it clear. The While loop returns Return[1], which
carries over to the encompassing control structure. The Do loop returns
only 1, which means the encompassing control structure will not be
exited. Note that:

Block[{},Do[If[True,Return[Return[1]]],{L,2,2,-1}];0]

Return[1]

As for the reason for the difference, it seems to me (its only my
speculation of course) that the loops are intended to be used in a
different way, with a Do loop usually use by itself while the While
loop more likely to be used inside the body of a function. In
connection with this last point note that:

f[x_]:= Return[x]

will give

f[2]

2