Re: Page breaks and numbers don't seem to work

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48912] Re: Page breaks and numbers don't seem to work
  • From: AES/newspost <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 02:51:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <cb8vmn$acs$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Steve Gray <stevebg at adelphia.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:21:49 +0000 (UTC), "Robert Boeninger"
> <robert at boeninger.org> wrote:
>
> >  As a newcomer to Mathematica, I am unable to figure out how to do
> >something very simple - have the page numbers display correctly (on the
> >lower left of a page), and have the pages print out with pagebreaks at the
> >same locations indicated by the page tick-marks in the on-screen notebook. I
> >have tried every conceivable thing to get this to work. This must be a very
> >elementary thing to accomplish, wouldn't you all agree?
>
> 	In my limited experience in using Mathematica's typesetting and other
> user-connected features, there are a large number of bugs, weird
> behaviors and unexplained occurrences. I would not use it for
> preparing final ouitput. Others will disagree with me, but I regard
> Mathematica as pretty user-hostile.
> 	Documentation, while extensive, is inadequate in my view. I
> usually can't find what I want.

Speaking for myself as an intensive Mathematica user, I love
Mathematica, stand in awe of its unbelievable numerical, analytical and
graphical capabilities, couldn't live without it, and will recommend it
to anyone.

But it's also quite true that trying to prepare _formatted_ (or typeset)
output from it, that looks just the way you want it to, can be very
frustrating.

There are also documentation problems throughout Mathematica -- but I've
come to realize that this is in part because it's such an immense and
sophisticated package (which is nonetheless almost totally crash- and
bug-free, not to mention multi-platform).  It can be very frustrating
when you run up against some hassle in dealing with Mathematica -- but
all to often I've found this occurring because I didn't really
understand all the inherent complexities of the underlying situation I
was attempting to deal with.