Appropriate codec for playing Mathematica generated .wav files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49047] Appropriate codec for playing Mathematica generated .wav files
  • From: dont at agora.rdrop.com (Don Taylor)
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 04:50:33 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Someone asked me to generate a few sound files.  I used Mathematica 5.0.1.0
under WinXP.

s = Play[f[t],{t,1,Floor[da/8]},SampleRate->22050,PlayRange->All]
Export["s.wav", s]

Everything seemed fine and so I send the files.  Then they said they
couldn't play the files.  I got copies back, they weren't corrupted,
but nothing I have, except importing them back into Mathematica, will play
them either.  Everything complains about codec but then no codec
can be found that will play them.

I've tried QuickTime, Windows Media Player, Irfanview, they tried
eight different packages they said.

I searched Wolfram, searched manual, searched help, searched old
newsgroup postings (found one posting years old having no luck
with similar problem and no answer)

Is there a "golden codec" known to work out there somewhere?
Perhaps this could be added to the help files?

Thank you