RE: Remote mathkernel through firewall behind NAT

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46743] RE: [mg46737] Remote mathkernel through firewall behind NAT
  • From: "Virgilio, Vincent" <Vincent.Virgilio at itt.com>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 01:46:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

Only an idea:

Your problem sounds similar to the 'secure ftp' (soluble) problem in ssh. Where, it is desired to tunnel ftp traffic through ssh. The initial ftp control session is made to a well-known port (21) - and thus works well with ssh. But that control session establishes data sessions at other, essentially random, ports - which does not work well with ssh. There are solutions to this, which I don't have at my fingertips. I think the O'Reilly book on ssh contains those solutions and might serve as a template for you. As might its coverage of NAT issues (if memory serves).

Regards,

Vince Virgilio