Re: simple bug about Sum/Product function?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46777] Re: simple bug about Sum/Product function?
  • From: "Dana DeLouis" <delouis at bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 01:34:04 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In version 5 for Windows, it works for me also up to 1,000,000.  It
returns unevaluated for values over that.

Sum[2, {1000000}]

2000000
- -
Sum[2, {1000001}]

Sum[2, {1000001}]
- -
However, if I use NSum, I get a error no matter what the value.

NSum[2, {100}]

NSum::itraw : Raw object 100 cannot be used as an iteration.
- -

As others have mentioned, it works ok if the first item is not a "Raw
Object", but an iteration variable.

Sum[2, {i, 1000001}]

2000002

Dana

P.S.  I have no idea why no error here though.

Remove[junk]
- -

Sum[2, {junk}]

Sum[2, {junk}]