Substitution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46785] Substitution
  • From: "Bruce W. Colletti" <bcolletti at compuserve.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 04:10:20 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

How to make the variable Subscript[p,D] wholly unrelated to variable p?

For instance, the notebook...

p = a x + b x;
p + Subscript[p,D]

...produces a x + b x + Subscript[ax+bx,D].

But I want p + Subscript[p,D] and thereafter, to freely use
Subscript[p,D] without it being affected by the p-value.  Symbolizing
Subscript[p,D] didn't work.

Thankx.

Bruce