Re: Typesetting: ?Big Sigmas and Little Sigmas?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46955] Re: Typesetting: ?Big Sigmas and Little Sigmas?
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 02:29:08 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <c36bic$s3o$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 brianbec at comcast.net (Brian Beckman) wrote:

> (Windows Notebook Interface) Normally, I set up a cell with Alt-7 for
> text input, then I typeset inline with ctrl-9.  I also get a
> typesetting palette up with templates to click for integrals, roots,
> sums, and so on.  Here is my problem. Suppose i want a BIG SIGMA
> summation sign, with i=1 on the bottom and n on the top.  Standard,
> eh?  The clicky on the palette looks just like that.  However, when it
> goes in the ctrl-9 typesetting box, it has the i=1 to the right of the
> lower horn of the Sigma rather than underneath the Sigma, and it has
> the n to the right of the upper horn of the Sigma rather than over the
> top of the Sigma.  In other words, the palette gives me the vertically
> compressed form of the summation notation, when I want the tall form.

If you want to make such a change globally, then edit the InlineCell
style in the StyleSheet for the Notebook. You can use the Option
Inspector to do this. Alternatively, unformatting the InlineCell style
cell one will see:

   Cell[StyleData["InlineCell"],
      LanguageCategory->"Formula",
      ScriptLevel->1,
      StyleMenuListing->None]

Modifying this to include the option

   Cell[StyleData["InlineCell"],
      LanguageCategory->"Formula",
      ScriptLevel->1,
      StyleMenuListing->None,
      UnderoverscriptBoxOptions->{LimitsPositioning->False}]

will do what you want.

> I've tried all kinds of tricks with the over-and-under clickies,
> attempting to construct the form I want manually and the NB interface
> is just too smart -- it keeps squishing things vertically.  Ditto for
> lim notation, by the way.  I want "lim" on the top and "h->0" on the
> bottom, but the interface insists on squishing this to "lim" with
> "h->0" as a subscript to "lim."

In this case you want to add the additional option

   UnderscriptBoxOptions->{LimitsPositioning->False}

to the InlineCell style.

> My fingers learned these shortcuts (Alt-7 and Ctrl-9) long ago and my
> mind has forgotten the English names for them, so I haven't been able
> to find them in the documentation.

You will find these shortcuts under the

   Edit | Expression Input

menus.

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 9380 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 9380 1014
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul