Left/right justifying rotated text [ corrected ]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46972] Left/right justifying rotated text [ corrected ]
  • From: kj <socyl at 987jk.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 01:24:57 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

[ NB: I noticed a potentially confusing omission in my original
  post; I've fixed it in this repost. ]

I want to place rotated text in a graphic in such a way that the
left (or right) edge of the text lands on the specified location
{x, y}.  When I say "left" (or "right") edge of the text, I mean
the edge corresponding to the left (or right) edge of the *unrotated*
text, *not* the left (or right) edge of a bounding box around the
*rotated* text having its sides parellel to the coordinate axes.
^^^^^^^^^
The text in question is to be rotated by an angle other than an
integral multiple of Pi/2.  For example, if the string in question
is "rotated", the location is {0, 0}, and the rotation angle is
Pi/4, I want the midpoint of the left edge of the initial "r" to
be in the upper right quadrant, more or less at Scaled[{0.03,
0.03}].

When I try

  Show[
    Graphics[
      Text["rotated", {0, 0}, {-1, 0}, {Cos[Pi/4], Sin[Pi/4]}]],
    Axes->True];

the text is rotated correctly , but placed such that the "r" is in
the lower left quadrant, and {0, 0} appears right above the "t"
(or the "o", depending on how one interprets the word "above").
This doesn't agree with the documentation for Text, no matter how
I interpret it.

How can I do what I want to do?

Thanks!

kj

P.S. Is this a hopelessly difficult task in Mathematica?
--
NOTE: In my address everything before the period is backwards.