RE: Re: WorldPlot Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47057] RE: [mg47051] Re: WorldPlot Question
  • From: "Wolf, Hartmut" <Hartmut.Wolf at t-systems.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:39:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 11:19 AM
>To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>Subject: [mg47057] [mg47051] Re: WorldPlot Question
>

>Terry <tharter at attglobal.net> wrote in message
>news:<c3h1r5$bd0$1 at smc.vnet.net>...
>> Hi All:
>>    In the WorldPlot package, it is possible to obtain  the
>vertices of
>> the polygon that defines the border
>> of a country by entering the command,
>>      WorldPoints["Country Name"]
>>
>> A fixed (default) number of vertex points is returned.
>Now, is there
>> a way to increase the number of points
>> that this command returns with?  If so, how?
>> TIA,
>> .......Terry
>I am afraid the answer to your question is 'no'.
>
>Actually, I have my own question regarding WorldPlot. Is there is a
>way to plot just continents without plotting borders of the individual
>countries. The hack I am using is plotting all countries in the same
>color, but the plot takes few megabytes and significant time.
>

>AK

The normal way would be to unify the Polygons from the countries of the
continents (or of all the world, if you like). This is a nice programming
exercise. I tried it once, only to detect  that (1) sometimes the
borderlines do not match exactly, and (2) there is no convention for the
orientation of the polygons, which makes it impossible to define holes (e.g.
as the Caspian Sea) within a country (or continent).

My simple advice is to search for a better database and bring it to the
Mathematica syntax (see Help WorldData).

--
Hartmut Wolf