Re: Drawing a globe, with countries and great circle routes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48094] Re: [mg48040] Drawing a globe, with countries and great circle routes
  • From: Yasvir Tesiram <yat at omrf.ouhsc.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 00:08:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

G'day,

The closest such thing maybe the Miscellaneous`WorldPlot` package.
I don't know if this is what it looks like from space (never been
there) but here is what I imagine it would look like if you could see
through it.

<< Graphics`Colors`

countryColors[country_] := Switch[
     country,
     "Australia", Green,
     "USA", Blue,
     "Papua New Guinea", IndianRed,
     "Brazil", Gold,
     "Peru", LampBlack,
     _, GrayLevel[.6]
     ]

WorldPlot[{World, countryColors},
     WorldRotation -> {30, 45, 0}, WorldProjection -> Orthographic]

The data for the polygons defining country boundaries etc is can be
seen using WorldDatabase. I suppose this would be a starting point for
defining ocean boundaries etc.

Cheers
Yas