RE: Mathematica & GIS

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48116] RE: [mg48095] Mathematica & GIS
  • From: David.Annetts at csiro.au
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 00:12:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Mark,

> I'm interested in knowing if anyone has been able to read and
> display a
> GIS boundary file within Mathematica? For instance, if I have
> a sample of
> geo-coded data (say with latitude-longitude coordinates) for a city,
> could I have Mathematica depict a street map of the city and
> plot the data
> points on it?

I guess that the short answer is "yes, but ...".

Mathematica has no problem with data in geo-coded data (at least none
with data in AMG coordinates).  To display data in a plan view, all you
need to do is figure out the graphics objects, then Show[{streets,
streetLabels, various other city stuff}].  A crude way of representing a
street is using a Line[] through various waypoints and then giving the
line a Thickness[] and Hue[] (for streets, avenues, drives & highways).
Judicious use of Select[] will allow you to display the information you
need to look at.

My stuff (geophysics) is usually straightforward because it is usually
ASCII and there is not much of it, at least nothing approaching the
level of objects in a city.

What is the problem you have, reading the boundary file?

Regards,

Dave.
  Dr. David Annetts
  EM Modelling Analyst
  CSIRO DEM            Tel: +612 9490 5416
  North Ryde           Fax: +612 9490 5467
  Australia         David.Annetts at csiro.au