Re: Re: Uniform design

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48310] Re: [mg48304] Re: Uniform design
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 06:15:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

One way to view the history of mathematics, and along with it the
history of "mathematical tools"(of which Mathematica is just one) is as
an unending struggle between two view points. There are various ways to
look at it, but one that particularly appeals to me, is through the
personalities of two of the greatest figures in the history of all
human thought: Newton and Leibniz. Leibniz, as is well known, had a
great interest in logic and abstract ideas. He also wished to create
perfect and universal tools that would enable the most ignorant and
stupid persons to solve the most difficult problems. In the works of V.
I. Arnold:

"On the basis of Pascal's studies and his own arguments Leibniz quite
rapidly developed formal analysis in the form in which we know it. That
is, in a form particularly suitable to teach analysis by people who do
not understand it to people who will never understand it. Leibniz wrote
'A poor head, having subsidiary advantages,... can beat the best, just
as a child can draw with a ruler better than the greatest master by
hand."

Newton, was of course the opposite. He did not care for generality and
even at first did not wish to study Euclid because (in Arnold's words):
"he thought it was foolish to prove things that were quite obvious".
But Barrow persuaded Newton to master geometry and this proved useful
when Newton on purpose decided to make his Principia as difficult as
possible, since he did not wish any "poor heads" to be able to make any
sense of it.

While I do not think the designers of Mathematica had exactly the same
intention as Newton, I am sure they also never intended it to be used
the way Leibniz wished his "universal method" to be used. I am also
pretty sure that Newton would have liked Mathematica and Leibniz most
likely not. All of us are in some degree on one side and the other, as
one can tell from the frequency that issues like those in this posting
are raised on this list.

Andrzej Kozlowski