Making new Contexts in Modules in a package

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48368] Making new Contexts in Modules in a package
  • From: Johan van der Meer <vdmeer at science.uva.nl>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 07:18:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello, I am fairly new to mathematica and need some help with this
context stuff :-).

What I want is to read with a function in a package some data (from a
file), and put that in a (nested) list called listname`unmodifiedlist.

The idea is to make modifications to that list with other functions,
where the new list name is listname`modifiedlist.

So what I want is a function called MakeList[data_String], that reads
the data and puts it in the variable unmodifiedlist in the (newly made)
context data.
Then, in my notebook I can simply type:
MakeList["data"]
Plot[data`unmodifiedlist]

to plot it for example.

I have in a package (package.m) a function that looks like this:

Function[data_String]:=
Module[{newcontext="",unmodifiedlist,readlist},

unmodifiedlist=ReadList[OpenRead[data],Number];
Close[data];

newcontext=ToString[context]<>"`";
$ContextPath=Join[$ContextPath,{newcontext}];

$Context=newcontext;

unmodifiedlist=readlist;

]

However, this doesn't seem to work. What I also tried is to change the
context in the beginning of my module to "data`". I am not sure if this
is good programming either, or if I should be wanting this with
mathematica, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Johan van der Meer