Re: reviving mathematica afte update to SuSE Linux 9.1

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48427] Re: reviving mathematica afte update to SuSE Linux 9.1
  • From: westfahl at lnls.br (Harry)
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 03:06:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Friedrich Laher <mathefritz at schmieder-laher.de> wrote in message news:<c83qaf$lgg$1 at smc.vnet.net>...
> after update from SuSE Linux 8.0 to 9.1
> mathematica 4.2 does no longer work ( only "math"
> with restricted functionality )
> What must be done?

Hi,

	Did you manage to solve your problem with Mathematica yet? I had to
deal with several issues after the same upgrade but now I got it
solved. First of all, did you install the "shlibs" package from SuSE ?
If not, please install it. Next, did replace the exec files with their
dynamically linked versions on the CD? If not, you have to do the
following (according to Wolfram´s website):

In order to install and run the dynamically link Mathematica binaries,
you will need to do the following
Copy the following files from the Mathematica 4.2 cd into their
respective locations in your Mathematica directory. You may want to
keep the Linux directories.

Files/SystemFiles/Kernel/Binaries/Linux-dyn
Files/SystemFiles/Kernel/SystemResources/Linux-dyn
Files/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/Binaries/Linux-dyn
Files/SystemFiles/Graphics/Binaries/Linux-dyn
Files/SystemFiles/Converters/Binaries/Linux-dyn

You will then need to edit the Mathematica scripts, so that
Mathematica will run the libraries. The following locations will
contain the scripts that need to edited,

/[Top_Mathematica_Directory]/Executables/Linux/
/usr/local/bin

Open these scripts in a text editor

math
Mathematica
MathKernel
mathematica

You will need to change the following line, which is located toward
the beginning of the scrips.
sysid=Linux
so that it now reads
sysid=Linux-dyn

Finally, you will probablly not be able to run Mathematica yet do to
GLIB conflicts, ie., you may get the message:

MathKernel: relocation error: MathKernel: symbol errno, version
GLIBC_2.0 not
defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

 But I found out that all you need to do is to set:

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

	That should get Mathematica working for you!!
	Best,
Harry.