Re: bimodal ditribution form counting signs of Pi digits differences

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg51774] Re: bimodal ditribution form counting signs of Pi digits differences
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 02:53:35 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 10/31/04 at 1:17 AM, drbob at bigfoot.com (DrBob) wrote:

>The built-in Random[] function has a bit of serial autocorrelation,
>too. (Google RandomReplacement.) I think most of what you're seeing
>is because of Sum, however.

My understanding this is not true for those cases where Mathematica uses the Wolfram Rule 30 cellular automata to generate random numbers which would be the case with Random[Integer, {0,9}]. And in fact, Andre's RandomReplacement makes use of Random[Integer, 2^30-1] to work around the issue with Random[Real].