Re: bimodal distribution in sign of difference of Pi digits]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg51845] Re: bimodal distribution in sign of difference of Pi digits]
  • From: Roger Bagula <tftn at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 01:25:36 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

http://www.pnl.gov/energyscience/10-01/art3.htm
http://pi.nersc.gov/

I've just trying to answer the question raised by Dr. David Bailey?
My answer is a qualified No to his question about Pi digits being random.
But they are the best "nature" non-Markovian Rabndomness we have.

As his ( Bailey's) formula gives individual digits using a PSLQ
derivation in base 16,
It is no they aren't techically dependent base 16 on the previous digits.

There are a lot of transcendental numbers and their technology is only
just being explored.
The estimate is that the number of transcentals is very like that of the
rational numbers,
but we don't have a Farey tree and it's sequences like in
transcendenatls yet.

The point is that Pi is a "benchmark" for randomness.
CA 30 just isn't good enough to be.
And yes there is a dependence in Pi digits, but it isn't considered
algebraic
even though PSLQ is used to compute it:
http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/4263/
http://mathforum.org/epigone/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/jolpoxhen
http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/pi-algorithm.html
It can't be algebriac or Pi wouldn't be transcendental.

--
Respectfully, Roger L. Bagula
tftn at earthlink.net, 11759Waterhill Road, Lakeside,Ca 92040-2905,tel: 619-5610814 :
alternative email: rlbtftn at netscape.net