Re: Series [was Change head, with Apply?]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg51872] Re: Series [was Change head, with Apply?]
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 01:49:16 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <ckfsid$iv7$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 CIMICDK at gmail.com (Brian Christensen) wrote:

> I have made a function that contains Series[...], I need to add some
> ekstra to this and therefor i use Normal[Series[...]]+R. If i use
> Head[%], it shows "Plus" And i would like to change this to
> TaylorSeriesData, How do i do this? I have tried a lot, but i cant get
> anywhere. If i do not use Normal, Head will return "SeriesData", but i
> need to add the R
> How do i change the function to TaylorSeriesData?

For definiteness, suppose your series is

  series = f[x] + O[x]^3

Note that adding the term O[x]^3 automatic coerces series expansion.

Now, I must be missing the point of your question. Is R meant to be
remainder (of higher order than the given series) or just an arbitrary
term? If it is the latter then you can just add it to the series

  series + R

However, if your R is, say, a x^4, then you would need to do this:

  Normal[series] + a x^4 + O[x]^5

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul