Re: Zero divided by a number...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg51902] Re: Zero divided by a number...
  • From: "David W. Cantrell" <DWCantrell at sigmaxi.org>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 01:51:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com> wrote:
> > In Mathematica, it is _not_ true that "x/0 is undefined for any number
> > x." Rather, for any nonzero x, x/0 is defined as ComplexInfinity.
>
> You mean for any x, zero or not.

No. I meant precisely what I said. If x = 0, then x/0 is Indeterminate,
rather than ComplexInfinity.

> Let's not confuse Mathematica's result for an expression with a useful
> mathematical definition of it.

???
But Mathematica's result of ComplexInfinity _is_ correct mathematically (in
the extended complex number system, of course).

> x/0 is undefined, no matter WHAT
> Mathemematica does with the expression.

Wrong.

> Consider this:
>
> Simplify[x y/x]
>
> Simplify[ComplexInfinity y/ComplexInfinity]
> Indeterminate
>
> As you can see, ComplexInfinity isn't a full-fledged member of the
> algebraic system.

Not a good argument. By precisely that same reasoning, 0 shouldn't be "a
full-fledged member of the algebraic system" either:

In[1]:= Simplify[0 x/0]

Out[1]= Indeterminate

> As another example, Gamma[-5] returns ComplexInfinity, but that doesn't
> mean defining Gamma that way (into the extended complex plane) removes
> the discontinuity -- which is what we'd like from a meaningful extension
> of Gamma.

In fact, defining Gamma[-5] in that way _does_ remove the discontinuity.
[As z -> -5, regardless of the path in the complex plane, |Gamma[z]|
increases without bound.]

David Cantrell