Re: finding explicit rule for series

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52068] Re: finding explicit rule for series
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 01:37:16 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Uwe Ziegenhagen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have a series of numbers and would like to use Mathematica to find the
> explicit algorithm in that way:
>
> n(i)=5342543+n(i-1)....
>
> I already spent some time with the manual, but didn't find anything.
>
> Uwe

If your series of numbers is finite (otherwise you would have a formula
for n[i]) then you are, in effect, trying to fit an arbitrary function
to a fixed set of points. There will be an infinite number of possible
solutions to that problem. Maybe I am not understanding your question.

However, you could produce a list of possible solutions with unknown
parameters (alpha and beta in this case) - e.g. n[i]:=alpha*n[i-1]+beta
- which would give you a set of simultaneous equations for the
parameters. If you can fit more than one 'model' then you obviously need
more points of your sequence.

David Bailey