Re: equal distribution of last digits base ten in the primes by b-normality

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52203] Re: equal distribution of last digits base ten in the primes by b-normality
  • From: drbob at bigfoot.com (Bobby R. Treat)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 04:31:24 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>What really surprised me about this is that this book is the
>notes of lectures given in 1875-6, long before the proof of the prime
>number theorem.  That implies that the densities were known to be
>equal even before it was known precisely what they were

Gauss knew the mean density of primes by 1792 and Riemann's hypothesis
was stated in 1859, so the Kronecker theorem cited below can scarcely
be said to predate that knowledge -- even if the PNT proof didn't come
until 1896.

Nor is it particularly surprising, anyway, that one might prove four
densities equal without knowing what they are.

Nor does this have anything to do with b-normality, which has to do
with the distribution of blocks of digits in ONE irrational number's
infinite expansion base b. The cited theorem involves the modulus of
DIFFERENT prime numbers mod b.

Besides, 10-normality requires all ten digits 0-9 to appear equally
often in the decimal expansion of an irrational, not just 1, 3, 7, and
9.

Bobby

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net