RE: Re: Re: 64 bit cpu and Mathematica on windows.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52243] RE: [mg52234] Re: [mg52223] Re: [mg52218] 64 bit cpu and Mathematica on windows.
  • From: "Melko, Mike" <Mike.Melko at northern.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 02:20:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I just bought a premier subscription/upgrade, and asked a sales
representative some questions about this, because I'm toying with the
idea of get a dual Opteron. I was told that the current release of
Mathematica supports 64 bit on Linux, but is a "Class B" license (which
is more expensive). In the next release (5.1, due out any day now), the
64-bit version will be reclassified as "Class A".

The news release referred to below, which specifically addresses
optimization for Linux on AMD 64, states that "Mathematica 5 is among
the first technical computing platforms specifically optimized for the
AMD64 architecture--and it delivers impressive performance. The
optimized Mathematica port outperforms a regular Linux version of
Mathematica on AMD64 systems by up to 50 percent in typical scientific
and technical calculations...".

I don't think the distro matters, except possibly for testing. Is that
correct? Since I'm likely to get Fedora Core 3, I'll have to find out if
Wolfram has tested it.

Mike Melko