Difference between scalar and vector inequality!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52276] Difference between scalar and vector inequality!
  • From: "Sungjin Kim" <kimsj at mobile.snu.ac.kr>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 03:41:53 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The following inequality under given condition is true for scalar. However,
is this still true for matrix?

log| I + A + C| >= log| I + B + C|
if log| I + A| >= log| I + B| and A, B, C >= 0
where |A| is absolute and determinant for scalar and matrix, respectively,
and A >= 0 means semi positive scalar or semi positive definite matrix,
respectively.

Furthermore, is it possible to prove it using our Mathematica?
Thank you in advance.

Br,
- Sungjin Kim
communication at samsung.com