Re: Re: Newly Released Mathematica 5.1 Delivers Unmatched Performance for Handling Data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52321] Re: Re: Newly Released Mathematica 5.1 Delivers Unmatched Performance for Handling Data
  • From: "John Jowett" <John.Jowett at cern.ch>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 02:12:39 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Yasvir Tesiram" <tesiramy at omrf.ouhsc.edu> wrote in message
news:cns1p1$e1j$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> G'day David,
>
> Very curious. I just checked and indeed all works fine with 5.0 but Gray
> isn't liked much in 5.1. Neither is Black, another color defined by
> GrayLevel. Other colors defined by RGB seems to work fine though.
> There probably is a good reason floating around somewhere.

Hello,
        Not having 5.1 yet, I don't know exactly what the problem is but one
good reason might be that some of the colours in Graphics`Colors` have names
that clash with other useful packages.  Because of this, I have long had a
private version which loads with the following message:

Graphics`Colors` - loading modified version of this standard package in
which \
the colors
{Cobalt, Gold, Gray, Titanium, Zinc}
have been renamed:
{CobaltColor, GoldColor, GrayColor, TitaniumColor, ZincColor}
to eliminate clashes with the standard packages
Miscellaneous`ChemicalElements` and Miscellaneous`Units`.

I'm not sure if this explains a problem with Black though.

John Jowett